Thursday, April 1, 2010

SAY YOU'RE ONE OF THEM



Uwem Akpan's words have inspired the Benin-born, Grammy Award-winning recording artist Angélique Kidjo to record "Agbalagba," a song written with her longtime collaborator Jean Hebrail in the Yoruba language. "Agbalagba" roughly translates to "the ancestors," as the song pertains to young peoples' responsibility to those who came before them. Angélique Kidjo commented, "I immediately felt a bond with Uwem. . . . The second we met, it was as if we had always known each other. I'm proud to contribute a song to his beautiful collection of stories."

 
"I am very excited that my stories have inspired such a powerful song, and I hope that both the song and the book will bring readers and listeners a greater understanding of the problems of people in Africa," ...Uwem Akpan


No comments: