Friday, March 5, 2010

GLAD I MET: JOHN McNEIL



JOHN McNEIL is regarded as one of the most original and creative jazz artists in the world today. For over three decades John has toured with his own groups and has received widespread acclaim as both a player and composer. His highly personal trumpet style communicates across the full range of contemporary jazz, and his compositions combine harmonic freedom with melodic accessibility. John's restless experimentation has kept him on the cutting edge of new music and has kept him from being easily categorized.

I was lucky to meet John i 1979 in New York. I was doing some promotion photography for Nils Winther of SteepleChase Records. A few month later we teamed up for a European Tour including Scandinavia, Holland, Germany and France. I was very honored that John dedicated the song BlewBo to me.


The story about the track is quite funny. I met John in the Airport and raced through town to the recording studio. John had the impression of me as a very quiet and blue guy when I met him in New York, but now he saw me as a 'racedriver' doing everything to get to the studio in time. I think the track - with a bit of Miles influence- reflects that pretty cool...

No comments: